Pumpkin Pie is one of the most famous desserts in the USA, where it is cooked since Halloween until Christmas, having a special presence at Thanksgiving.
It is healthier than other pies, since its main ingredient is pumpkin, which also allows to get a pie with a lower amount of sweetener (either white sugar, whole cane sugar, syrup ...), so it is naturally sweet.
In this case, it's been used birch sugar (better known as xylitol) in order to achieve a healthier pie, but it can be replaced by sugar if preferred, since it is used in the same way.
On the other hand, given that this version does not contain ingredients of animal origin such as dairy or eggs, this recipe is lighter, free of cholesterol and trans fats and has a more delicate flavor.
Thus, this is an ideal recipe to indulge yourself and, at the same time, benefit from the nutrients that pumpkin provides, such as beta-carotene , lycopene , coumarins ( antioxidants ), fiber , vitamin C , folic acid , potassium and copper ; in a tasty and healthy way.
Regarding the level of difficulty, this dessert is very easy to prepare, because if we have all the ingredients ready, we only have to mix the components of the filling, fill the pie crust and bake.
Below you can see what ingredients you need and the steps to follow in order to enjoy the cruelty free version of the mythical Pumpkin Pie.
|Difficulty level||Preparation time||Rations|
|Easy||1 h. y 15 m.||For 8 servings|
* Plus 1 hour of rest and 4 hours of refrigeration
- 425 gr. roasted pumpkin (peeled, seeded and drained)
- 240 ml. vegan cream (not beaten)
- 150 gr. xylitol (birch sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1 pinch of cloves (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pie crust (not precooked)
- vegan whipped cream (optional, to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC and, meanwhile, prepare the filling of the pie. To do this, put the drained roasted pumpkin in a bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add the vegan cream (not beaten), the xylitol, the spices, the salt and the cornstarch and mix everything until obtaining a uniform mixture without lumps.
- Place the piecrust in the mold where the pie is going to be baked, making sure that it is well adapted to the walls and the base of the mold.
- Pour the filling into the mold and, with the help of a silicone spatula or similar, spread it so that it is well distributed throughout the base and as smooth as possible.
- When the oven is hot, introduce the mold and bake for 1 hour. If after 30 minutes, the edges begin to brown, cover them with tinfoil so that the filling of the pie is uncovered until it is completely baked.
- After the cooking time has elapsed, check that the pie is well baked by inserting a skewer or the tip of a knife and, if it is well cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- When the pie has cooled, put it in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. After this time, take the pie out of the fridge, unmold it and serve it in portions with a little vegan whipped cream on top.
- We have used the butternut squash variety, which is sweeter. If you prefer, you can use canned pumpkin puree.
- If you want, you can substitute birch sugar (xylitol) for whole cane sugar.
- If you follow our shortcrust dough recipe, remember to add 1 teaspoon of xylitol or sugar for every 200 gr. of flour to make the sweet version.
- We have used a 24 cm diameter and 5.5 cm high mold. If you use another mold, make sure that the filling does not exceed ¾ in height of the mold, since when baking it rises a little.
- After baking the pie, you will see that the center is less firm than the rest, but it is normal.
- The longer the pie is in the fridge, the firmer it will be and the less it will cost to unmold.
If you have any questions, you can leave it to us in the comments. And if you dare and want to show your creations to the world, do not hesitate to label us, we will love to see them through the networks!
Do you join us on social networks? You will find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!